New Birth Company affirms Doulas as a highly valued member of Mom’s birth team.
Studies show that including a Doula in your birth improves birth outcomes and your overall birth experience. Click here to learn more on the role and benefits of a Doula.
- Offer guidance and help with your comfort during labor. For example, your Doula may help with breathing and relaxation techniques, movement and positioning, and visualization exercise.
- Be a valued member of your unified birth team. For example, your Doula may help you communicate your wishes for your birth. She may also help the Midwifery team explain some of your care and options to you.
- Support shared decision making and informed consent between you and your birth team.
- Provide support for your Partner and Family in order to enable them to be the best birth supports for you.
Join us for Doula Date Night at New Birth Company to learn about how a doula can support your birth and meet local doulas to find the best fit for your family. See upcoming dates and sign up here.
Tips for Choosing a Doula:
- Interview several Doulas to find the best fit for your family. You and your partner should both feel comfortable and supported by your Doula.
- Attend a Doula Date Night at New Birth Company to meet many local doulas at once (see upcoming dates and sign up here).
- Certification through an organization such as DONA, CAPPA, Uzazi Village, etc is recommended.
Paying for A Doula
Some insurance companies will provide a Doula as part of your benefits, but most families need to pay out of pocket for Doula services. Most insurance companies will support the use of HSA/FSA funds to pay for a Doula. Be sure to call and ask what your specific benefits include. United Healthcare Community Plan of Kansas, Healthy Blue, and Tricare insurance currently covers the cost of doula (see links below to request a Doula through those plans).
Some Doulas do work on a sliding scale or offer discounted rates. If finances are a barrier, ask us for specific recommendations. We believe everyone deserves a Doula at their Incredible Birth-Day.